In 2012, Knowledgepool was appointed as delivery partner for a large public sector organisation. The £295m, pan UK contract included course design and redevelopment, course booking, venue management and training administration for the delivery of a curriculum. The aim of the contract was to improve the efficiency of learning and development delivery for 500,000 civil servants, military personnel and foreign government officials located in the UK and abroad and create £90m of savings over four years.
In 2014, the framework was extended with over 100 public sector organisations signing individual call-off contracts. Since 2012, Knowledgepool has delivered learning and development to over 510,000 individuals and continues to deliver call off contracts for professions and bespoke learning requirements.
Knowledgepool was awarded the contract in mid-February 2012 and the service was up and running by April 1st, 2012. Within 6 weeks, we had created and started delivering 63 common cross-departmental subject areas. We established teams and agreed processes to:
- Manage and schedule courses
- Manage invoicing to departments and suppliers
- Book trainers and venues (making best use of government estate)
- Deliver delegate administration, evaluation, and course materials
- Provide management information and course evaluation data
- Manage the supply chain.
Today, we respond to circa 20 requests for training materials per month and use a structured process to tailor and adapt training to specific requirements; from needs analysis to design and development. Training is delivered by our in-house training team or supply chain partners using a blend of learning methods. Since the contract started we have managed bookings for over 779,000 delegates.
Our dedicated Supply Chain and Procurement Team manage the tendering and procuring of bespoke programmes, and commissioning all delivery through a mixed business model where 51% of the delivery must come from external partners. Since the contract start we have managed circa 3,000 bespoke procurements.
We have a range of measures to ensure the success of the service, including direct feedback from delegates via post training surveys, monthly service performance/learning outcomes reporting against SLAs and evaluated against KPIs, and indirect feedback from delegates’ managers to get a wider view of impact. Quantified benefits delivered include:
- £90m of savings recorded
- More than 50% cost savings through lower delegate training day rates
- Delegate feedback, which included:
- 4% trained face-to-face stated the event met objectives and 95.5% stated they would be more effective at work
- 93% agreed their skills / knowledge improved as a result of training
- 5% observed during training were assessed as successfully putting learning into immediate application
- Over 25,000 managers of delegates reported that they have been able to put learning into practice, and 88% report that within 90 days of attendance team performance improved as a result of training.