In 2010, a leading motor company reviewed its existing outsourced training provision, benchmarking against alternatives available in the marketplace, and seeking a provider that could perform as an extension of its own internal learning and development teams in both the UK and Germany.
The company appointed Knowledgepool in August 2011, subsequently commenting that the company saw particular benefit in our economies of scale, consistent quality standards applied through centralised administration and supplier management functions, best practice consultancy, and our people’s passion for training.
Our Managed Learning Service provides the company with a team of dedicated learning advisors who handle all training requirements for the company’s UK corporate and manufacturing locations which employ around 11,000 staff. The service is delivered by Knowledgepool staff based on site at the company’s location and supported by our Shared Service Centre. We deliver our service using the company’s internal learning management system (LMS) so that it is seamless for the learning community.
Throughout our relationship with the company, the Knowledgepool team has operated as an integrated learning and development function — working directly with the business to scope, procure and deliver training across all areas. We provide a team of specialists to support the company’s UK learning and development team, working closely with the main the company of Europe learning and development team. Each member of our team is aligned to a Centre of Expertise: IT, professional and leadership development, organisational development, and technical.
Knowledgepool’s Managed Learning Service for their technical, engineering, health and safety, leadership and behavioural, and apprentice training provision includes:
- Learning administration. Our team of Learning Advisors manages training bookings, including handling incoming enquiries, delegate communications and course evaluations.
- Supplier management. We transitioned existing suppliers to Knowledgepool in August 2011. As part of the on-going service, suppliers are reviewed and rationalised delivering cost savings to the company. This has included running an RFP process for the Engineering Apprentice Scheme which resulted in transition to a new provider.
- Catalogue management. We manage the company learning catalogue on the in-house LMS. The catalogue includes a mix of the company-specific and generic training courses all regulated by the internal learning and development team. Health and Safety training is the largest area of annual spend for the company in the UK and Knowledgepool manages the delivery of this entire provision on the company’s behalf.
- Comprehensive evaluation and reporting services. We provide the company with a detailed dashboard and metrics reports which enable accurate monitoring of budget spend and course evaluation.
- Account Management. Our dedicated Client Partner manages the relationship between Knowledgepool and the company, holding regular reviews with stakeholders within the company’s learning and development organisation. This ensures that the company has visibility of progress against our service metrics, and provides a forum for sharing ideas for improvement and innovation.
- Demand Planning. We work closely with the company’s operational locations to offer a catalogue of health and safety courses that are relevant, current and available on a timely basis. Many of these courses have been developed around the company’s systems and processes so we work closely with our suppliers to ensure the relevant trainer expertise is available to deliver.
As their Managed Learning Service partner, we have worked with the company to transform the way that they manage learning. We have eradicated wasted effort, focusing on service quality — with two new onsite resources hired to work at the organisation’s engine plants. This has resulted in significant resource cost savings, and through improvements in purchasing, contract bundling and scheduling decisions, an 18% increase in training volume has been achieved without any additional spend.
We continue to help the company to work smarter, drive up operational efficiency, focus more clearly on business partnership, and improve the quality of learning.